Saturday 17 May 2014

D-Blog Week: Day 6

Today's topic is as follows:

Back for another year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like!  With a nod to the Diabetes 365 project, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures.  Post as many or as few as you’d like.  Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves.

Feb 25, 2012.  Just 2.5 short weeks after Amy was diagnosed.

She was vomiting profusely, I knew it was a stomach bug.  Her sister and cousin were both sick as well.  She couldn't keep anything down.  She was on NPH twice daily and Rapid twice daily.  I was dealing ok.  She had some ketones.  But I wasn't sure if I should give her bedtime insulin or not.  (2 weeks in remember).

I decided to bring her through our emergency department.  At this point, we had only ever seen a family physician, CDE and dietician, I didn't have any contact numbers for our children's hospital that we now visit every 3 months for diabetes clinic.

We saw a doctor, and he tried to tell me that she had a UTI, that was what was causing the ketones.  I tried to explain that she had diabetes, and I wasn't sure what to do.  He told me not to give her insulin yet.  He hooked her up to some fluids (Normal saline), and let us go when it was run in, and then to give the insulin 4 hours late.

When we got to our car, she started vomiting again.  I called in to the building and they told me to bring her back in.  The doctor told me there was nothing wrong, that she had a UTI and handed me a 27 page document about diabetes. I told him what he could do with his document, and took her home and managed the best that I could by reviewing the papers I was given at diagnosis and looking up as much as I could on the internet (I'm not saying that everyone should do this!)

Luckily we haven't had this happen again, but I keep this picture to remind me that I ALWAYS need to advocate for my child, especially when she is unable to do it herself.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you and your daughter had to go through that but I'm glad she had you to be her advocate.

    ReplyDelete