Saturday 17 May 2014

D-Blog Week: Day 5

Hi everyone, I apologize for my lateness, I didn't have internet for most of yesterday.
We took a 550KM ride across the province to go shopping at Walmart and stock up on everyday items like toilet paper, paper towels, dish liquid, personal care products, etc....then turn around this morning and drove back 550km again!  and we took the girls!

I was totally expecting Amy's sugars to go through the roof, because every time we take this drive, it happens, but not this time!

Yesterday's topic (Friday) was to share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes.

I don't have a whole lot of them, I just know what works for us.

1) we use a pump pouch.  My mother has made Amy about 7 of them.  She loves them, and they are handy because she doesn't like to wear pants that have pockets.

2) we use a baby monitor.  Although we rarely use the CGM now (due to unreliable/false low predictions while she sleep due to pressure from lying on it), I still like hearing her.  I am a very light sleeper, and I think if she were to have something like I seizure I would hear it.

3) we tuck used strips in the glucometer case pocket and keep a rolled up Kleenex in there to finger blot.  Kinda gross, but it works for us.  At least I have her stopped from licking her finger afterwards!

4) I send her school lunch with an itemized list and corresponding carbs every day.  That was if something breaks or she doesn't want to eat it, she knows all the carb counts, not just the total.  Remember, we have no school nurse, she does this herself with her teacher watching.

5) I carry a glucometer in my purse.  Not only does Amy have her "diabetes bag", a beautiful LUG bag, that we take everywhere, but I also have a back up in my purse.

6) I dose Amy's insulin when I get out of the shower in the morning, before I wake her up.  This gives lots of time for her insulin to start working.  (but we still have breakfast post meal spikes!)

7) we let her be a kid.

I can't wait to see what everyone else has written, I could use some new tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment